Independent Study: GOVT 496

GOVT 496 is an opportunity to work one-on-one with a faculty member on a specific topic as an independent study class. You research this topic in-depth and write a research paper. You can apply up to 6 credits of GOVT 496 to the major. Permission and senior status (90 credits) are required. A GOVT 496 can be 1, 2 or 3 credits.

To register for GOVT 496, approach a School of Policy, Government and International Affairs faculty member, whose research is in the area you want to work on. Ask this professor whether she or he would be interested in working with you on the specific topic you have in mind. It helps if you have already taken a class with this faculty member, so they know who you are.

Two forms are required for an independent study: 1) the GOVT 496 Contract Form with the faculty member and 2) an Individualized section form. You can find both forms in the links below.

Turn in both forms BEFORE the ADD deadline for the department chair’s approval and signature. If approved, the student will submit the form to the Registrar in order to manually enroll in the class.

Individual Study Resources
GOVT 496 Contract Form
Individualized Section Form